Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Srinivasa Ramanujan

I decided to research a little more on Srinivasa Ramanujan, the famous mathematician known for his theories and new concepts of math, a shocker as he was self-taught as well. I found several sites talking about his earlier life and one went into a little detail of what his earlier college days were like. Ramanujan had a deep love for math which deepened when he obtained the book, A Synopsis of Elementary Results in Pure and Applied Mathematics leading him to plunge into it and become completely focused on mathematics. This would take a toll on his other subjects, causing him to fail college exams and eventually drop out. He then relied upon the charity of his friends as he was from a poor family and struggled to continue his deep interest in mathematics until he sent his theories and ideas to G.H. Hardy who led Ramanujan to England where his career took off.

I use math everyday when I think about things and organize the facts that I learn mentally and I often find myself using mental images to calculate numbers. Often times, this would be imagined as rows and columns of small blocks like the ones we used in elementary school: the blue plastic blocks that were available in singles, tens, sheets of 100 and a cube of 1000. Now with that aside, I found it extremely strange how devoted Ramanujan was to mathematics to the point of failing other subjects and becoming nearly homeless. I didn't understand his theories and some of Ramanujan's ideas but I found this info at:  http://www.usna.edu/Users/math/meh/ramanujan.html

No comments:

Post a Comment